vertical-align

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 12:10:03 -0700
To: "W3C Style List" <www-style@w3.org>

As we know vertical-align is applicable only to line boxes and table cells
in CSS 2/3.

Therefore there are no way currently to vertically align content of other
block containers.

Proposals/choices:

1) To allow use of 'auto' value in padding attributes. So to align container
content to bottom author may use:
padding-top:auto; in container's style.

1-%%) To introduce %% units (sorry) as a most generic solution of vertical
(and horizontal) auto positioning.

2) To introduce content-vertical-align attribute for any arbitrary block. I
don't like it personally. Too many inconsitencies.

Any other ideas? Or vertical alignment a "person non grata" and we don't
need it at all?

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com