Re: '%%' unit (plus 'en' unit)

From: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 17:25:57 +0100
To: "Sean M. Hall AKA Dante" <pianoman@reno.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

 >> On Sun, 9 May 2004, Sean M. Hall AKA Dante wrote:
 >>
 >>> I propose an 'en' unit. 1en = the width of an 'n' character in that
 >>> element's font type. If CSS has an em unit it should logically also have
 >>> an en unit.

On that basis, why not an "a" element, a "b" element, and so forth ?
I really cannot understand the basis of your request : traditional
typography has "em"s and "exs", the former a basis for horizontal
measurement and the latter for vertical.  An "M" is usually one of
the widest characters in a font, the "x" is typical of all lower
case letters without ascenders or descenders.  What purpose
would be served by singling out the letter "n" for special treatment ?

Philip Taylor