'%%' unit (plus 'en' unit)

From: Sean M. Hall AKA Dante <pianoman@reno.com>
Date: 9 May 2004 06:51:43 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org
Hey, you know what? Instead of using this '%%' unit we could always go back to using tables for layout...

We do need either '%%' or the calc() function (I prefer the latter). Otherwise we could use tables (I shudder at the thought) or Javascript. But box model differences and other things will rid the Javascript solution with incompatibility. Ugh.

I propose an 'en' unit. 1en = the width of an 'n' character in that element's font type. If CSS has an em unit it should logically also have an en unit.

Cheers,

Dante