Re: CSS3 Speech module: Comments and Corrections

From: Nicholas Shanks <contact@nickshanks.com>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 17:16:47 +0100
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>

>>>    element{
>>>     content:none;
>>>     cue-before:url(johnwayne.aiff);
>>>    }
>>    element { content: url(johnwayne.aiff); }
>
> Isn't there a subtle difference between 'content' and 'cue-before'?

Both of these would be dangerous if a user agent, presenting the
document both visually and aurally, parsed media="aural" (or @media)
rules, but replaced the elemnent's content for media="screen" too, then
the text quote would be lost too! I know that is incorrect parsing of
the rules, but I have no idea how buggy speech renderers are. 'm not
disabled myself and don't have any to test with, besides my computer's
built-in text-to-speech engine which can't see CSS.

- Nick.