Re: Proposal: useragent at-rule

From: Dave Shea <dave@mezzoblue.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:37:13 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org

> The historic result of that has been pages that display "Please 'Upgrade'
> to a browser that won't run on your platform and is less capable than
> your browser" when presented with anything other than specific
> versions of mass market browsers, and don't provide any real content
> in that case.  It's also resulted in pages that break on the standards
> compliant document object model in NS 6 because a Netscape detection
> caused NS 4 proprietory features to be used instead.

But keep in mind that in the historical example, there wasn't an
acceptable way to degrade a page for the unsupported browsers.

CSS has a marvellous solution: just don't render the style.
Properly-built unstyled markup is still usable, we just don't have a
mechanism to selectively serve up unstyled markup. Which is where I
popped up in this thread in the first place.

d.