Re: [css3-hyperlinks] inclusion of Clink in next WD

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> The arguments people are making for why having the 'link' property would be
> good idea presuppose that links created with such "act" just like normal
> links.  I'm just pointing out that it's impossible to implement that.

Considering this would primarily be made for generated content, not
document content, that would be a reasonable sacrifice. For css
generated content, the link semantics could be appended. Why? Because
only the link related selectors would apply, not others such as :not().

Besides, what says that you can't simply do the following:

:link, :css[link] {
	color: blue;
	text-decoration: underline;
}

>>Well, as I said, a css property or property-value pair matching selector
>>would be very useful, and I can't belive it would be all that
>>complicated for user agents to support, as long as there's a way of
>>preventing circular matching defined in the specification.
> This is a _huge_ "as long as".

I can't see why it would be that huge, really. Consider the following:

* {
     color: #ff0;
}

:css[color=#ff0]{
     color: #f0f;
}

:css[color=#f0f]{
     color: #ff0;
}

So, how would one limit circular matching? Simple, I say, because the
mechanism is already built into css. !important, [user - author - user
agent], specificity, declaration order. The result would be #ff0.
--
David "liorean" Andersson

ViewStyles, ViewScripts, SwitchStyles and GraphicsInfo bookmarklets:
<http://liorean.web-graphics.com/>
Hangouts:
<http://codingforums.com/> <http://yourmusicforums.com/>