Re: [css3-hyperlinks] inclusion of Clink in next WD

Tantek Çelik wrote:

>On 3/11/04 10:26 AM, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
>>That was merely a proposal to resolve the logical contradiction.  The precise
>>proposal was "Whether :link matches or not is independent of the value of the
>>'link' property."
>>
>This actually kind of makes sense, if you think of it this way:
>
>:link matches an element that is *semantically* a hyperlink.

And an element is *semantically* a hyperlink is defined... how? By the
ML specification? So A ,AREA and LINK are semantic hyperlinks, but
BLOCKQUOTE is not (based on Mozilla's implementation)?

>Another way to do this would be invent a sort of "Cascading Semantic Sheets"
>that simply reused CSS syntax to declare semantics (and perhaps typing?),
>like linking semantics, on a tree of XML, so you could declare elements with
>certain characteristics to be hyperlinks (e.g. all elements with an 'href'
>attribute), which later would trigger :link/:visited selectors in style
>sheets.

How about

  @link{
   a[href]{
    link:url(href);
   }
  }

or am I breaking rules again? This at-rule would be processed, defining
links, so 'link' is _only_ allowed within '@link' and after that you
could use ':link' to select them (outside the at-rule).

>Obviously all Semantic Sheets would have to be processed before any/all
>Style Sheets (similar to how a validating XML processor processes the DTD
>for the document before it does any styling).

I think that would be far to complex (not for you (and me) of course).

--
 Anne van Kesteren
 <http://annevankesteren.nl/>