Re: CSS on invalid HTML

From: Max Romantschuk <max@provico.fi>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 13:20:56 +0300
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

To clarify the <span /> issue I was referring to earlier in this thread:

As several list readers and Opera Software's people pointed out I was
using the wrong MIME-type for my XHTML document. I was using text/html
when application/xhtml+xml would have been appropriate. I guess I should
have read the XHTML compatibility guidelines more carefully:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#guidelines

The interesting thing is that RFC 2854 (
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2854.txt ) does allow XHTML to be labeled as
text/html, but it should be compatible with HTML.

"In addition, [XHTML1] defines a profile of use of XHTML which is
compatible with HTML 4.01 and which may also be labeled as text/html."

It seems Opera uses an HTML parser to parse XHTML labeled as text/html.
The XML parser kicks in when the document is labeled as
application/xhtml+xml.

I'm sorry for all the confusion. I hope this clears things up :)

.max

--
Max Romantschuk
http://max.nma.fi/