Re: [CSS21] Test Suite

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 16:17:36 -0500
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Chris Lilley wrote:

> MM> handle this syntax (probably due to the incompatible definition of
> MM> the first rule is ignored (or all rules in the case of Firefox).
>
> Bleurgh.

That was my reaction too.  Per conversation with Mark, this ONLY happens when
the file is served as "text/html".  Using XML or XHTML MIME types works fine in
firefox.

The reason CDATA sections in text/html cause issues is that the tag-soup parser
doesn't really understand them, so the "<[CDATA[" part is passed to the CSS
parser.  This last treats it as an error and skips forward, matching pairs of
quotes, parentheses, and (most importantly) square brackets.  So the entire
sheet is skipped.

Of course sending XHTML 1.1 markup (which these tests are) as text/html is an
issue in itself...

-Boris