Re: CSS UI 'outline-offset'

From: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:11:36 -0700
To: Justin Wood <jw6057@bacon.qcc.mass.edu>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>, Ada Chan <adachan@microsoft.com>

On 7/1/04 8:14 PM, "Justin Wood" <jw6057@bacon.qcc.mass.edu> wrote:

> Tantek Çelik wrote:
>
>> It seems reasonable to add an editorial clarification that positive values
>> of outline-offset add space between the border and the outline.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tantek
>>

> Thanks for the support Tantek, though as you word it here would not
> clarify its "direction" as 'space' can be either way.  though if you
> insert the word 'extends' or some similar terminology it would more
> realistically affect the mind of those who try to implement this, had
> they been thinking the opposite (less likely to think opposite but still
> possible).

No, I take it back, the spec is pretty clear on this already:

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-ui/#outline-offset

By default, the outline is drawn starting just outside the border edge.

*outside* the border edge is clear.  It certainly doesn't mean *inside* the
border edge.

However, it is possible to offset the outline and draw it beyond the border
edge.

*beyond* in this context can only be interpreted to mean *further* outside
the border edge.

If the computed value of 'outline-offset' is anything other than 0, then the
outline is outset from the border edge by that amount.

*outset* is also clear here.  It certainly doesn't mean *inset*.

*amount* is also reasonable clear, in that in common usage a positive amount
is implied.  And you have to think fairly backwards to attempt to interpret
"amount" as a negative by default.

Tantek