Re: CSS UI 'outline-offset'

From: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:48:54 -0700
To: Justin Wood <jw6057@bacon.qcc.mass.edu>, <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: Ada Chan <adachan@microsoft.com>

On 5/16/04 12:12 AM, "Justin Wood" <jw6057@bacon.qcc.mass.edu> wrote:

> the property 'outline-offset' should/needs to specify which "direction"
> a positive vrs a negative value would produce..
>
> Common practice would dictate that a positive value make the overall
> width of the outline larger (assuming a normal closed box).

Yes, common practice, and consistent with how padding, border-width and
margin all also work that way.

> With such,
> shall we limit outline to be fully visible on viewport, (at least up to
> end of scrollable area?)...

This aspect in particular is deliberately left up to the UA.

> Yes, its in CR but this should be addressed.

It seems reasonable to add an editorial clarification that positive values
of outline-offset add space between the border and the outline.

Thanks,

Tantek