Re: Possible inadequacies in CSS3 Border-Image proposed specification

Vincent Starre wrote:

> I think this can best be described with ASCII-art.. (let's hope the both
> of us use fixed-width fonts)

www-style is best read with fixed-width fonts. :)

> Ernest Cline described my intended layout best, I think (i'll add a few
> things to make it harder to understand and more along the lines of my
> point):
>
> ABBBBBDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEFFFFFFFFGGGGGH
> C                                 I
> C                                 I
> .                                 .
> .                                 .
>
> sections D and F are repeating, while all the others are non-repeating.
> I hope that makes sense.

Ok.

If you read the section describing border corner images, it says:

# The area of the corner is determined by
# the perpendicular corner radii and the
# outer border edge lines or by extending
# perpendiculars from the padding edge
# corner, whichever yields a greater area.

and

# For the overwrite and overflow values of
# border-fit, the image may overflow into
# the content area, but it has to be clipped
# at the opposite edge of the content area.

So, to get the layout you suggest, make your corner image include
those two bits of the top and left edges and make the rest of it
transparent. Assign it to the top left corner with border-top-left
and give it a fit of 'overwrite'.

  ABBBBB|DDDDDDDDEEEEEEEFFFFFFFFGGGGGH
  C     |                            I

If you want D to tile and fit properly, then you also need to
increase the border-radius to stretch the corner area.

~fantasai