[css3-page] LCWD issue 22 -- [22] Section 3.3.2 <length>

From: BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) <jim.bigelow@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 17:24:37 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org, ernestcline@mindspring.com

Ernest,

> Why does the page context have no notion of fonts?  Couldn't this be
> the same as the notion held by ":root" exterior to this @-rule?  Or

The page context comes before and is independent of content.  You don't want
to specify the width of the page in points.  It's a physical sheet of paper,
better suited to be described in absolute terms.

Perhaps, Hokum or another CSS WG person can offer a more compelling or
coherent explanation.

Jim

Your issue, shown below, has been assigned the number 22.

> Why does the page context have no notion of fonts?  Couldn't this be
> the same as the notion held by ":root" exterior to this @-rule?  Or
> does this introduce some sort of loop that isn't apparent to me?
> Granted, specifying page margins with respect to font size may not be
> a good thing to do most of the time, but I fail to see why it is
> impossible.

A further response will be forthcoming. Please address any replys to
www-style@w3.org with [css3-page] in the subject line.

   -- Jim Bigelow, Editor