Re: [CSS2.1] Background boundaries and attachment

Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, fantasai wrote:
>
>>Ian Hickson wrote:
>>
>>>You would be able to by putting the background on an element inside the
>>>"frame".
>>
>>You'd have to add an extra element solely for presentation.
>
> So how would you do the opposite (image fixed with the border of the
> element instead of scrolling with the content) without using extra
> elements?

background-attachment: fixed;    /* fixed wrt viewport, which has the effect of being
                                     fixed wrt the border when the parent scrollbox
                                     isn't being scrolled -- which covers frames behavior*/
background-attachment: attached; /* hypothetical CSS3 property: fixed wrt border */

>>Isn't CSS supposed to let one *avoid* doing that: putting in
>>extra markup for presentation?
>
> So wait for CSS3 and use ::outside.

Run into the same problems with padding vs. margin, etc.
Except worse because there's CSS3 support issues. If there's
no support for ::outside, I get the padding and the background,
but the border and the margins get lost under the unrecognized
selector.

~fantasai