RE: Proposal: Minor 'text-transform' property revision

From: Ernest Cline <ernestcline@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:25:43 -0500
To: "Jens Meiert" <jens.meiert@erde3.com>, "W3C CSS" <www-style@w3.org>

I don't think that it would be a serious comparability problem,
but I fail to see the utility of it as proposed.

I presume you want it so as to be able to turn a plain text:
"THIS IS A HEADLINE THAT WAS TYPED IN ALL CAPS"
into: "This Is A Headline That Was Typed In All Caps".
but Ideally, when such a plain text was placed into markup,
with the headline placed into an element, it would also be turned
into lowercase as appropriate.  If it isn't placed in a separate
element, then applying such a transform would make some letters
that weren't capitalized, capitals, thus turning:
"THIS IS A HEADLINE THAT WAS TYPED IN ALL CAPS
And this is the text that follows it." into:
"This Is A Headline That Was Typed In All Caps
And This Is The Text That Follows It."

Now what might be worth adding would be another keyword:
'decapitalize' that would turn all but the first letter of a word into
lowercase. Thus turning:
"THIS IS A HEADLINE THAT WAS TYPED IN ALL CAPS
And this is the text that follows it." into:
"This Is A Headline That Was Typed In All Caps
And this is the text that follows it."

Such a new keyword would be just as compatible as your
proposal to allow "text-transform: lowercase capitalize;"
while being a bit more useful in that it would turn leave words
that are in lowercase alone.

I'm not certain of how useful it would be, but I think such
an approach would be better than the one you proposed.