Re: [CSS21] response to issue 63

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

>>     Section 8.2 (Example of margins, padding, and borders)
>>     <http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-CSS21-20030915/box.html#mpb-examples>
>>     "The height of each LI box is given by its content height, plus
>>     top and bottom padding, borders, and margins." What does that
>>     mean, exactly?
>
> Essentially, the term "height" as used in that sentence is completely
> meaningless (it's not used in quite that fashion anywhere else in the
> spec).  Please replace it with a term like "box height" or something and
> define that term carefully.

The working group hasn't yet discussed this, but would changing 'height'
to 'outer height' be satisfactory for you? (We definitely don't want to
make changes to normative parts of the spec just to clarify an example
that we consider clear enough already, but maybe a small wording change
like that could be accepted by the group.)