Re: [CSS21] response to issue 51

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 12:42:45 -0600
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Bert Bos wrote:
> Your e-mail:
>     http://www.w3.org/mid/200309282052.h8SKqWwA020953@nerd-xing.mit.edu
>
>     Section 5.12.2 (The :first-letter pseudo-element) The last
>     paragraph of the example with the floated 'T' says...
>
> CSS WG response:
>
>     It may be unclear, but we think it is defined.

Perhaps my issue was unclear....  The current text, as written, is
self-contradictory.  As an implementor, I can't tell how this should
work and hence can't implement it.

To be precise, if the "the :first-line pseudo-element start tag is
inserted right after the start tag of the element to which it is
attached" language is correct then given the markup:

<DIV>
   <P>First paragraph</P>
   <P>Second paragraph</P>
</DIV>

we should get the fictional tag sequence:

<DIV>
   <DIV:first-line>
     <P><P:first-line>First paragraph</P:first-line></P>
   </DIV:first-line>
   <P><P:first-line>Second paragraph</P:first-line></P>
</DIV>

and not what the spec has.  What the spec has makes a lot more sense, so
the quoted language should probably just be removed or changed to talk
about the start tag of the block element that contains the first line of
the element to which it's attached.

Clarifying this would probably also addressed the other concern I raised
in the same mail.

-Boris