Collapsing 0 width margin

From: by way of Bert Bos <laurent@aopsys.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:22:43 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

Dear style minded people,

I've scratch my head about a rendering problem and it turned out that
most browser (I've tested Mozilla and Konqueror, IE is said to do the
same) collapse the margin of the last element and the margin of it's
parent even if the parent has a zero width margin. I find it weird and
counter intuitive. To me a zero width margin if not margin so there's
no reason to collapse. I believe the CSS specs version 2.1 and 3 do
not says wether a zero width margin is actually a  margin that can be
collapsed or not. It would be nice to clarify on the subject.

Best regards,
Laurent Martelli

--
Laurent Martelli