Re: Collapsing 0 width margin

On 21 Dec 2004 at 12:22, Laurent Martelli wrote:
<snip/>
> collapse the margin of the last element and the margin of it's
> parent even if the parent has a zero width margin. I find it weird and
> counter intuitive. To me a zero width margin if not margin so there's
> no reason to collapse. I believe the CSS specs version 2.1 and 3 do
> not says wether a zero width margin is actually a  margin that can be
> collapsed or not. It would be nice to clarify on the subject.

Personally i find the whole concept of nested collapse (and even more so,
collapse-through) unintuitive and probably somewhat outdated, if it ever was a
good idea (as opposed to sibling-collapse). Some others have also questioned
the feature on this list if you search the archives.

The recs seem rather clear here though. CSS2 and CSS 2.1 use the same section,
CSS3 uses somewhat different words but is possibly even clearer. Since they dont
special-case the value zero in terms of what margins are adjacent, what is unclear?

 /Staffan