assigning multiple classes to achieve multiple backgrounds ?

From: Sander van Dragt <svandragt@s82.nl>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:51:57 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

I might be overlooking a obvious problem, but why does the background
property need multiple image values when instead we can already assign
multiple classes to a html tag?

#north {background: url(north.png) no-repeat 0% 50%;}
#east {background: url(east.png) no-repeat 50% 100%;}
#south {background: url(south.png) no-repeat 100% 50%;}
#west {background: url(west.png) no-repeat 50% 0%;}

There would be a problem with the fact that in current specifications
 the backgrounds would cancel each other out, so perhaps one would need
 to add a new background-attachment property named 'overlay' in
 addition to scroll and fixed (so north overlays east overlays south
 overlays west). However this would seem a very elegant solution.
 Perhaps I've missed some obvious problem with this technique though..

Best regards,
Sander van Dragt

Poetry is the language in which man explores his own amazement.
Christopher Fry