Re: [Selectors] What if an element is declared as type ID

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 09:42:05 -0500
To: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Cc: W3C CSS List <www-style@w3.org>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Both the CSS 2.1 CR specification and the Selectors CR specification
> speak of ID *attributes*[1].
>
> Recently, after reading some material on XML Schema I discovered that
> elements could be declared as type ID as well[2].
>
> It does say something about compatibility, but it does permit you to use
> it on an element.
>
> So I was wondering how that would work together with CSS.

The semantics of having an element of type ID are fuzzy at best (does
the ID map to the element of that type, or to its parent?), and the fact
that it's possible to have those in some schema languages could be
called a bug. If CSS is to say anything about this, it should be to
forbid it.

--
Robin Berjon