Re: [CSS21] 3 margin-collapse issues?

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Staffan Måhlén wrote:

> > Table cells don't have margins, so they can't be adjoining to
> > anything, and if they're not adjoining to anything, they don't
> > collapse.
>
> Ah, but of course. I assume that ensures that it is clear that children
> do not collapse with their unexisting margins like in the td
> first-child/last-child quirk (which BTW doesnt quite work with nested
> collapses does it?)?

In that there is nothing in the spec that says that this should happen,
and in so far as the behaviour is fully-defined, yes.

> > > It also seems to miss specifying what happens with vertical overflow
> > > and bottom-margin. It does specify that collapse with bottom margin
> > > and children does not occur if "underflow" occurs, but not that it
> > > doesn't when overflow happens which seems to be the interpretation
> > > of some major current implementations and also makes more sense than
> > > collapsing something that isen't adjoining.
> >
> > When overflow happens, the margins aren't adjoining. This is defined.
>
> Hmm, i still don't quite see that. Could you spell that out to me?
>
> I think you are referring to the section:
>
> "The bottom margin of an in-flow block-level element with a 'height' of
> 'auto' and 'min- height' less than the element's used height is
> adjoining to its last in-flow block-level child's bottom margin if the
> element has no bottom padding or border."
>
> but i don't see how that works and i don't see any 'max-height' references.

The "element's used height" is dependent on the max-height property,
which is where the max-height reference comes in.

But yes, that's the section to which I was referring. It basically says
that an element's bottom margin is only adjoining to its parent's bottom
margin if it is auto-sized and that sized did not get affected by max-
height/min-height.

> > > The paragraphs:
> > >
> > > "If the element's margins are collapsed with its parent's top margin,
> > > the top border edge of the box is defined to be the same as the
> > > parent's. Otherwise, either the element's parent is not taking part in
> > > the margin collapsing, or only the parent's bottom margin is involved.
> > > The position of the element's top border edge is the same as it would
> > > have been if the element had a non-zero top border."
> > >
> > > does not seem to match exactly what current browsers do. Why have two
> > > ways to position the element and why isn't the box always positioned
> > > after the collapse? To me it seems weird that the elements content area
> > > can start above where its margins participates in a collapse, but
> > > otherwise i think most implementations seem to go with some version of
> > > the second solution above? This case is however probably the defintion
> > > of an edge case,
> >
> > The case above is only relevant when the top and bottom margins of an
> > element collapse together. If it wasn't for those paragraph, there would
> > be no defined top border content edge for that element, and nested floats
> > or positioned elements would be at a loss as to where to go.
> >
> > The two definitions are needed because otherwise you end up with
> > unintuitive results.
>
> I'm sorry but i don't understand that having those two definitions gives
> more intuitive results, and it seems that Mozilla 1.7, Opera 7.50 and IE6
> disagree so much on this behavior that i cannot make sense of what
> that point is. Are there any use cases that can make me understand
> or is this more about ensuring the behavior is reasonably well defined?

There are basically two cases. Assume the following stylesheet:

   p, div { margin: 1em; }
   span { float: left; }
   div { background: blue; }

The first case:

Here IMHO you want the top of the float to be at the top of the div,
wherever that is.

The second case:

Here IMHO you want the float to be at the same place as it would have been
if the middle <p> element contained text.

The text in the spec now obtains those results.