Re: [CSS21] 3 margin-collapse issues?

On 23 Aug 2004 at 13:59, Ian Hickson wrote:
> Table cells don't have margins, so they can't be adjoining to anything,
> and if they're not adjoining to anything, they don't collapse.

Ah, but of course. I assume that ensures that it is clear that children
do not collapse with their unexisting margins like in the td first-child/last-child
quirk (which BTW doesnt quite work with nested collapses does it?)?

> > It also seems to miss specifying what happens with vertical overflow and
> > bottom-margin. It does specify that collapse with bottom margin and
> > children does not occur if "underflow" occurs, but not that it doesn't
> > when overflow happens which seems to be the interpretation of some major
> > current implementations and also makes more sense than collapsing
> > something that isen't adjoining.
>
> When overflow happens, the margins aren't adjoining. This is defined.

Hmm, i still don't quite see that. Could you spell that out to me?

I think you are referring to the section:
"The bottom margin of an in-flow block-level element with a 'height' of 'auto' and 'min-
height' less than the element's used height is adjoining to its last in-flow block-level
child's bottom margin if the element has no bottom padding or border."
but i don't see how that works and i don't see any 'max-height' references.

> > The paragraphs:
> >
> > "If the element's margins are collapsed with its parent's top margin,
> > the top border edge of the box is defined to be the same as the
> > parent's. Otherwise, either the element's parent is not taking part in
> > the margin collapsing, or only the parent's bottom margin is involved.
> > The position of the element's top border edge is the same as it would
> > have been if the element had a non-zero top border."
> >
> > does not seem to match exactly what current browsers do. Why have two
> > ways to position the element and why isn't the box always positioned
> > after the collapse? To me it seems weird that the elements content area
> > can start above where its margins participates in a collapse, but
> > otherwise i think most implementations seem to go with some version of
> > the second solution above? This case is however probably the defintion
> > of an edge case,
>
> The case above is only relevant when the top and bottom margins of an
> element collapse together. If it wasn't for those paragraph, there would
> be no defined top border content edge for that element, and nested floats
> or positioned elements would be at a loss as to where to go.
>
> The two definitions are needed because otherwise you end up with
> unintuitive results.

I'm sorry but i don't understand that having those two definitions gives
more intuitive results, and it seems that Mozilla 1.7, Opera 7.50 and IE6
disagree so much on this behavior that i cannot make sense of what
that point is. Are there any use cases that can make me understand
or is this more about ensuring the behavior is reasonably well defined?

 /Staffan