Re: recommendations to css3 draft ...

* Chris Lilley wrote:
>BH> it'd be nice to be able to work with gradients for
>BH> box-model backgrounds.
>
>Yes, it would. For this, the backgrounds model needs to offer the
>ability to stretch an image, as an alternative to tiling it. (It already
>offers this in CSS3).
>
>Then, an SVG image can be used to create a gradient as a background.
>Replicating SVG functionality into CSS3 would be a bad direction.

Maybe it is just me, but I dislike the idea to create about six SVG
documents for a site like <http://www.blogger.com/start> and depend
on SVG support in background-images in the client, maintain all the
style sheets (e.g., creating a different set of about six images to
use them for an alternate style sheet) rather than adding few lines
to the style sheet, just because CSS syntax for gradients would be
a "bad direction", so, could you be more specific why it would be
bad if web authors could use gradients for their web site using CSS
and XHTML only? I fail to see how a CSS syntax for gradients could
do any harm, other than maybe less demand for SVG support in XHTML+
CSS user agents.