Re: Audio

On Aug 8, 2004, at 8:02 AM, Dave Raggett wrote:

> For instance, the following would in principle play the same sound
> at the same time for all paragraphs and likewise for all h1
> elements.  Probably not what the author intended.
>
>    h1 { sound: url(wind.wav) }
>    p { sound: url(waves.wav) }

Of course, this is assuming a visual presentation model where several
paragraphs and or are visible on the screen any one time.

However, if one is presenting a page through speech, there is always
the concept of the "current" element: the one presently being spoken.
Effectively there's a playback head or speech cursor progressing
through the document. In such a model the above declaration would make
more sense, since there's always a current element which would indicate
which sound to use. At least the problem of compositing sounds is
reduced to a containment hierarchy, rather than being a mix of
everything in the viewport.

Not that any one model is right or wrong, but there are many different
use cases to consider.
I suppose it goes without saying that SMIL
(http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/) is a reference point for any work in
this area?

AndyT (lordpixel - the cat who walks through walls)
A little bigger on the inside

         (see you later space cowboy ...)