Re: [css3-reader] Editorial suggestions

(<mid:16659.51183.100556.778059@lanalana.inria.fr>):

> Etan Wexler writes:
>
>> The draft suffers from the URI-in-your-face idiom described by Susan
>> Lesch in the W3C Manual of Style
>> (<http://www.w3.org/2001/06/manual/#ref-section>). The suffering is
>> worst in the references, but apparent elsewhere.
>
> The only visible URLs I could find were in the required places ("this
> version," status and bibliography). Did I miss any?

You didn't miss any. The issue isn't that URIs are visible (or audible
or tangible). The URI-in-your-face idiom is only about using URIs as
anchor content. As you note, there are even requirements for the
inclusion of URIs in the text.

The first URI-in-your-face is in the status-section boilerplate. The
fragment's source in the draft is as follows.

of its publication. Other documents may supersede it. A list of current
W3C publications and the latest revision of this technical report can
be found in the <a href="http://www.w3.org/TR/">W3C technical reports
index at http://www.w3.org/TR/.</a></em>

It should be as follows (according to the W3C Publication Rules,
section 1.2 <http://www.w3.org/2004/02/02-pubrules#status-rectrack>).
Notice the placement of the closing tag for the "a" element.

of its publication. Other documents may supersede this document. A list
of current W3C publications and the latest revision of this technical
report can be found in the <a href="http://www.w3.org/TR/">W3C

Besides the first occurrence in the status section, all
URIs-in-your-face are in the references. The Manual of Style has the
following advice:

Reference titles are recommended, not the "URI-in-your-face" idiom, as
link text... For example, Do use: <cite><a
href="http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/">HTML 4.01
href="http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/">http://
www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224</a></cite>.

The example in section 7.4