Re: Proposed Recommendation after Candidate Recommendation

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Etan Wexler wrote:

> Bert Bos wrote to <mailto:www-style@w3.org> on 26 February 2004 in "3
> CRs: CSS 2.1, Paged Media and Print Profile"
> (<mid:16446.32888.725368.845167@lanalana.inria.fr>,
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2004Feb/0511.html>):
>
> > The CSS WG is very happy to announce that three specifications have
> > become Candidate Recommendation [...]
>
> > The next step will be "W3C Recommendation,"
>
> According to the W3C Process Document
> (<http://www.w3.org/2004/02/Process-20040205/tr.html#q73>), the next
> step is a Proposed Recommendation, not a Recommendation. Did I miss
> something?

No, you did not. When a working group proposes a CR spec for Rec, we enter
a review period of four weeks. The proposed Rec is published with a status
of "Proposed Recommendation" and after four weeks it either is
re-published as a Rec (the normal process), or it goes back to CR or even
WD (in the case of unexpected problems).

There are in fact several more statuses for specs mentioned in the process
document, all associated with different kinds of review.

But that is just process stuff. There are really only three states, or
four if you count the absence of any status as one. And every transition
between these states requires a review. (From nothing to WD is "First WD",
from WD to CR is "Last call", from CR to Rec is "PR", from Rec to nothing
is "PRR" and from Rec to Rec is "PER".)

I want everybody to understand the three states WD, CR and Rec, because
they determine how you can use and implement a spec, but I don't expect
anybody to remember how the transitions between them are called.

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/ERCIM