Re: CSS2.1 'content', 404 Not Found, and audio files

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 18:17:07 +0200, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 4, 2004, 5:22:25 PM, csant wrote:
>
> c> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 16:34:04 +0200, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:
>
>>> This is in contrast to the aural media, which is serialized by the
>>> speech synthesizer; contrast
>>>
>>> h2:before { content: url(welcome-fanfare.mid); }
>>>
>>> h2 {cue-before: url(welcome-fanfare.mid); }
>>>
>>> In the latter case the fanfare willsound justbefore each h2 is read
>>> out.
>
> c> Specifying 'content' :before h2 still is serialized by the speech
> c> synthesizer - it plays the audio file before reading the heading,
> exactly
> c> as the 'cue-before' example does: the latter method additonally
> allows you
> c> to add some aural "padding" around the header by means of the 'pause'
> c> property on h2, which comes before the element's contents but after
> the
> c> cue.
>
> I was contrasting the :before in a visual medium with the cue-before in
> an aural medium.

It sounds a bit weired to talk about visual medium when we are dealing
with audio files, doesn't it? :)

The :before example is actually available for all media types, the
'cue-before' example, on the other hand, can only apply to 'aural' (or
'speech'). Synchronizing sounds with the visual display is not matter of
CSS, and yet it becomes an issue when you deal with audio files: how is a
UA to treat more than one audio file per document?

h1:before { content: opening_fanfare1.wav; }
h1:after { content: closing_fanfare1.wav; }
h2:before { content: opening_fanfare2.wav; }

Leaving beside the fact that I might here be abusing the 'content'
property - if the UA supports 'speech' it might probably "render" the
sounds serialized, if it does not support speech and nevertheless supports
audio files, this might end up in a very annoying sound-salad! Or are
audio files to be excluded from 'content' when there is no support for
media 'aural'/'speech'?

The media groups section <URL:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/media.html#media-groups> seems to specify that
'screen' is comprised in the 'visual' and 'audio' groups.

/c

--
[Quote]
"He is old". But she is wrong. It is not age; it is that a drop has