Re: Styling table columns--why so limited?

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:15:04 +0000 (UTC)
To: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Tantek [ISO-8859-1] Çelik wrote:

> I think there can be many examples where the table-ness of elements (i.e.
> their table semantics) MUST be determined by the language (e.g. say you were
> marking up a sparse matrix -- the mathematical kind), and thus it would be
> possible to create pseudo-classes that selected the semantic table-ness of
> those elements rather than their presentational table-ness.

I suggested this to one of the people who was asking for Mozilla to
implement <col align> or some CSS equivalent and the answer I got was that
it would be great, _so long as_ it worked in the face of the column
changing relative position.

e.g.:

    <col>
    <col class="price">
    <col>

The second needs to be styled. The same cell would need to be styled even
if a new column was introduced before or after the column in which the
cell existed, without the stylesheet having to change.

So e.g.,

   td:part-of-column-matched-by(col.price)

...but not:

   td:part-of-column(2)

I'm not sure exactly what to suggest though; using selectors like that is
reminiscent of my not-too-popular-with-implementors :matches() proposal.