RE: Styling table columns--why so limited?

From: <Matthew.van.Eerde@hbinc.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:13:38 -0700
To: ian@hixie.ch, tantek@cs.stanford.edu
Cc: www-style@w3.org

> From: Ian Hickson [mailto:ian@hixie.ch]
> On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Tantek [ISO-8859-1] elik wrote:
> >
> > I think there can be many examples where the table-ness of elements
(i.e.
> > their table semantics) MUST be determined by the language (e.g. say you
were
> > marking up a sparse matrix -- the mathematical kind), and thus it would
be
> > possible to create pseudo-classes that selected the semantic table-ness
of
> > those elements rather than their presentational table-ness.
>
> I suggested this to one of the people who was asking for Mozilla to
> implement <col align> or some CSS equivalent and the answer I got was that
> it would be great, _so long as_ it worked in the face of the column
> changing relative position.

What if you put it to them like "OK, you can have a :column pseudo-class -
but it will only key on absolute position, take it or leave it"?  I can see
how a <col class="price"> would be nice, but it's the straw that breaks the
model's back.

Matthew.van.Eerde@hbinc.com                805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com   Software Engineer
perl -e"print join er,reverse',','l hack',' P','Just anoth'"