Re: CSS Specs

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Sean M. Hall wrote:

> Where do I go to find out which CSS things were introduced in what
> level?

In the specifications and their "errata" at http://www.w3.org.
It is left up to you to decide what really constitutes the CSS 2
specification today; but luckily this is not relevant to your specific
question.

> Someone sent me the URL but I accidentally deleted the message.

It may have been
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/index.html
which is a very useful resource with no official status.

> The reason I'm asking is because Internet Explorer 6
> supports font: status-bar.

Yes; support seems to exist already in IE 5.5.

> I couldn't believe that IE supported some bit
> of CSS3 and am trying to make sure it is in fact CSS3.

There is no CSS 3 (yet), just a collection of proposals to CSS 3 modules,
at varying levels of officiality. And actually many features in them
have been constructed to describe the extensions already implemented
in IE.

font: status-bar is actually defined in CSS 2, though it is little known,
and it's better that way. (I have seen knowledgeable people misunderstand
the declaration as somehow meant to change the properties of a browser's
status bar! There is marginal use for the system font features, but mainly
in documents like computer program manuals, a fairly specialized kind
of documents.)

> Can someone tell
> me if Safari 1.2 supports font: status-bar?

I suppose someone can, but such questions are relatively marginal to the
topic of CSS specifications, since font: status-bar is already in the
specs, and nobody has proposed that it be removed. (You can find lots of
info on support to CSS features in browsers on the Mac platform at
http://macedition.com/cb/resources/macbrowsercsssupport.html
but it does not seem to discuss this detail.)