Re: background-image-opacity suggestion

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Sigurd Lerstad wrote:

>> Just use a PNG.
>
> I'm aware of png, but that property seems very useful to me. It's a non
> destructive way to turn any image in any format into a watermark background.

The working group did consider having a -opacity property for everything
that could have opacity:

   color-opacity
   border-top-opacity
   background-image-opacity
   background-color-opacity
   text-decoration-opacity

...etc, but decided instead to add rgba() support to colors, rely on the
alpha channel for images, and introduce a global 'opacity' property that
would start a new stacking context with atomic opacity.