Re: attr(x, y)

From: Sigurd Lerstad <sigler@bredband.no>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 04:30:13 +0200
To: "Bert Bos" <Bert.Bos@sophia.inria.fr>, <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

> > Where is the syntax of property value attr(x,y) described?
> >
> > In CSS2, there's only attr(x), so attr(x,y) must be new to CSS3? But I
can't
> > find where it's described.
>
> It is currently meant to go into the Values & Units module.

Is it long before it's available?

> The idea is to generalize attr() a bit. The optional second argument can
> be a type ('string', 'color', 'url', 'length'...) to allow attr() to be
> used on properties that allow other things than strings. E.g., the type
> 'url' would indicate that the attribute value is a URL reference relative
> to the document, because simply taking the attribute as a literal string
> would give the wrong URL. The default type is 'string'.

I don't understand why specifying a type would be necessary. The property on
which attr is set defines the type?

if you have body[TEXT] { color: attr(TEXT)}
the color attribute knows it has a type of color..

same with a uri, the background-image property knows it has a uri.

??

I've also seen 'em' as the second argument, I see the need for that,

input[size] {width: attr(size, em) }

but how is that a type?

I'm especially interested in that construct, completely implementing form
controls through css.