Re: CSS 4?

From: Dylan Schiemann <dylans@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:29:56 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org

Dylan Schiemann wrote:

> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>
>>> Last I checked the total was greater than 10% for browsers without
>>> JavaScript support...
>>

>> Whats's the source of this number?  Sorry, but browser statistics are
>> notoriously inaccurate and plagued by the "well, it's 50% of the
>> people who
>> visit _my_ site" problem...
>

> Agreed.  I looked at two sources:
> http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2003/May/javas.php: 13% (aggregation of
> roughly 35 million monthly "hits")
> combined stats for sites that we (SitePen) host: 9% (we get around
> 400,000 page requests per month)

Based on those stats, my original statement was that roughly 10% of all
users have JavaScript disabled, and from that I guessed that 0-2% did so
by choice (with the other 8% using old browsers, etc.).

Strangely enough, I'm willing to ignore ~10% of the population when it
comes to using css and other standards that older browsers don't
support, but I don't like to ignore the non-JavaScript users unless the
purpose is a web app.  Also thinking about this more, I believe that
roughly 10-20% of script disabled traffic is from robots.

-Dylan