Re: CSS 4?

Dylan Schiemann wrote:

> So css selectors then are only to be used for style?  I thought that one
> of the goals of css selectors was to create a general selection
> mechanism.  If that's the case, then where would one use such a
> selection mechanism for non-styling purposes.

Why only selection ?

Selectors as they are today are a REMARKABLE flat description of
a part of a subtree. And it's probably the only one available. If you think of
A + B > C in terms of "that's the set made of an A, a B following it, and finally a
C contained in the B" instead of "that's matching a C inside a B following an A",
you have your answer, you understand what I mean here.

Just forget about "selectors match elements in the tree" ;-)

One very interesting point about Selectors is the size. Could you really describe
A+B>C in a more concise way ?

</Daniel>