Re: CSS 4?

From: Ernest Cline <ernestcline@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 17:46:33 -0500
To: "W3C CSS List" <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: "David Latapie" <julian27@ifrance.com>

> From: David Latapie <julian27@ifrance.com>
>
> Isn't DSSSL discontinued? What is/was it, compared to CSS?
>
> Thank you for all of your informations.

DSSSL  was developed within the SGML community.  As such it
occupies a position with SGML analogous to that held by XSL [1]
with respect to XML.  Altho in theory there is nothing that would
prevent using XSL with SGML or DSSSL with XML or HTML,
I am unaware of any implementation that does so [2].  Because
of its linkage with SGML, DSSSL shares roughly the same
degree of popularity.

[1] By XSL, I mean both XSL:FO and XSLT as DSSSL includes
both styling and transformation aspects, altho a conforming
implementation need only implement one or the other.

[2]  I have not actively looked for such implementations
so please do not take my statement as an indication
that they do not or are not likely to exist, only that I do
not know of one.