Re: CSS21 16.5 Capitalization text-transform

I wasn't proposing to change the source content. When text is highlighted and
copied from a screen, I think users expect to have the visualized text on the
screen, not the source. The visualized text is the content as far as they are
concerned.

Don't change the source content, just put the generated text on the clipboard.

You might want the source, but as the document author you are the only one that
knows what to expect. The rest of us will be surprised...

Most people expect what they see to be copied.

So if the screen has all headings lowercased, they expect it to be lowercase in
the clipboard, regardless of how the source was written.

I do like the suggestion that the clipboard could have the html & css source on
the clipboard as one of the formats.

However, my main point is that UA should be consistent (I think) and so the
spec should prescribe clipboard behavior, so they all do the same thing.
If we don't have agreement on that, then UA's can do whatever they want and
there is no point in debating which approach is right.

tex

Richard Ishida wrote:

> > I find in a number of browsers, that if text-transform is
> > used to change case, and a user highlights and copies the
> > text to the clipboard (on Windows anyway), the text that is
> > placed in the clipboard is the original text (ie without case
> > changes) not the properly cased text displayed in the
> > highlighted region.
> >
> > I think this behavior is very contrary to user expectations.
>
> Absolutely not contrary to my expectations when I use this !  I'm using
> the CSS for *presentation-related* adaptation.  I use text-transform to
> change the visual appearance - not the stored text.  This enables me to
> achieve different capitalization styling for exactly the same HTML text
> by applying different style sheets.  For example, one of my styles
> lowercases all the text in headings, but I *don't* want it to change the
> content while doing so.
>
> > It would be good if the CSS spec would specify cut/copy
> > clipboard behavior with respect to functions that change
> > text. Should the original text or the resulting text be
> > placed on the clipboard?
>
> RI

Making e-Business Work Around the World