Re: Alternate stylesheets and the "disabled" DOM property

From: <staffan.mahlen@comhem.se>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 10:26:44 +0200
To: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On 4 Oct 2003 at 1:54, fantasai wrote:
> Chris Moschini wrote:
> >> I don't think we want to get into selection persistence here.
> >> That's done by the UA on behalf of the user,
> >
> > Could the standard at least recommend something?
> That's outside the domain of the specification; it's a user agent UI
> design issue.

Persistance of selected alternate style sheets would be immensly
useful if reasonably widely and reliably implemented. I agree that
the UI part is of course browser specific, but why does the basic
functionality need to be?

> Now, if you're really interested in how it ought to be done, I can
> do a writeup and post it here for discussion, but I don't think it
> belongs in a W3C spec.

I would find such a writeup very interesting.

>  > This is a problem with most present implementations; sure you can
>  > pick a style, but if you did it in the UA, it's gone with the next
>  > page click.
> Like you said, that's a problem with the implementation, not the spec.

If no rec has the notion of persistance of alternate style selection
described i don't think it will be reliably implemented. I agree that
DOM is probably the wrong place, but i do think some rec should at
least have an informative note on how this should be achieved. Is
there some other place this type of functionality could be described?