Re: Widget Appearance

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:58:59 +0200
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Dris <dris86@cox.net>

On Nov 18, 2003, at 02:44, Dris wrote:

> Also, I wasn't assuming they all look like Windows scrollbars (note my
> reference to different user agents and widget differences).  I'm using
> Mac OS X, and that's what I was modeling it after.

The OS X scrollbars are very difficult to imitate if the browser
assumes that the scrollbars are Windows-like. In particular, the
extreme positions of the slider are hard. Mozilla tried to mimic the OS
X scrollbars using boxed images, but it didn't work out. Thankfully,
native scrollbars are used now.

Also, suppressing system scrollbars causes all sorts of annoying issues
with mouse wheels and assistive technologies.

> A few other suggestions:
> y-scrollbar-arrow-orientation: top || bottom || both;
> y-scrollbar-tab-proportion: proportional || fixed;

I prefer to keep those settings to my system-wide preferences without
every Web author altering them.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi