Re: Scope of :hover

From: Andy Rossmeissl <arossmeissl@uwsa.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:08:09 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

Matt wrote:
> It's sensible that only interactive elements can accept the :hover
> pseudo-class. These are the only elements that can be "clicked on"
> to do something, and a change of colour/underline etc almost always
> implies a link.

http://www.zeldman.com/daily/0503c.shtml#ma2303
links a page at
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~stuartr/articles/missinglink.shtml
that I think makes an effective use of the :hover pseudo-class on a
non-interactive element. Rollever the "Human evolution" paragraph, and
the links contained in it highlight themselves. IMHO, a widespread
application of this technique would enhance the readability of certain
types of content (like encyclopedias) while at the same time emphasizing
the deep-linking structure of the web.

-Andy