Color and transparency (opacity, alpha value)

From: Stanimir Stamenkov <stanio@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 00:00:59 +0300
To: www-style@w3.org

First I want to apologize if I'm not on the right list. Please,
point me to a more appropriate if applicable.

I see the color module for the CSS3 spec is in its last call stage
and I've wondered if this sounds considerable: I want to set a
background color of an element using a keyword (a system color:
Caption, ThreeDFace etc. or an attr(color) maybe) and I want this
color with some fixed opacity value.

In the current spec the only way to specify semi opaque color is to
specify it as whole:

RGBA or HSLA color values

Does it sound reasonable to have ability to set the color opacity as
separate value? Something like this:

E {
   color: black alpha(0.5);
}

this way I could specify only color opacity for the color without
changing the current color:

E {
   color: alpha(0.5);
}