[CSS3] selectors: parent combinator?

From: <patricka@mkdoc.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 12:29:41 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

hi all,

somebody please hit me with a clue stick. :)

i can't see (with css3 selectors) how to select a paragraph containing,
say a defining instance of a term.

maybe it's just me, but i've often found myself confused with the
"direction" of combinators -- i even thought that the descendent
combinator would apply:

p dfn
{
  border-left: solid #000;
}

(but that catches the definition, not the paragraph.)

the intent here is to highlight reference text better.

i suppose i'm after a "parent combinator", or something...

p < dfn
{
  border-left: solid #000;
}

is there a way to do this with selectors without changing the example's
html (i.e. adding class/id attributes on the paragraph)?

tia,

- p