Re: Test suite submissions

From: John Lewis <lewi0371@mrs.umn.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:36:50 -0600
To: www-style@w3.org

Rijk wrote on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 at 3:26:59 PM:

> Ian wrote:

>> In practice, in my six years of writing CSS tests, I cannot recall
>> receiving a single complaint from anyone who was blocked from using
>> CSS tests because of red/green colour blindness.

> I do have problems with 'maroon', which is used in some tests. I can
> hardly distinguish between maroon and black text color on a white
> background. Red text on a white background is better, but still not
> very easy. Distinguishing background colors, however, is no problem
> for me. And if a test says 'this text should be green text', I can
> see easily enough whether it is green or 'some other color, most
> likely black'.

I suspect the definitions of red and green were chosen carefully; red
is #ff0000 and green is #008000. There is a significant difference
between the two even if the colors appear identical (the difference
between #808080 and #404040 or something like that). This distinction
is much easier to make with a background color than with a text or
thin border color--maybe the test writers should be encouraged to use
background colors wherever possible.

--
John