display property

From: Brian V Bonini <b-bonini@cox.net>
Date: 26 Jun 2003 09:20:33 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

As I understand it the display property with a value of block will apply
block level formatting to the element it's defined for, e.g. img
{display: block} that being the case why does the recommendation cite
many such examples as:  p{display: block;} is this not redundant since p
is already a block level element and furthermore confusing. First time I
saw this I assumed display:block would apply to the children of the
element containing this property value simply because, why would you
apply display: block to an element that is already a block level
element?