Scrollbar always at bottom?

From: Hakon G <hakon_@everyday.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:46:55 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-style@w3.org
I have tried to find a solution to this problem without success.
I have a <div style="overflow: auto"> tag, which is incremented with childnodes continuosly (image an irc chat or similar).
The problem is that as the list is incremented, the scrollbar remains in a fixed position. That means I can't automatically see the recently added content. Like with the irc example, I would like the scrollbars to be always at the bottom.
I also tried to solve it with scripting, but it seems impossible as the scrollBy() method only applies to a browser window and not to other scrollable objects. Even so it wouldn't do this in a clean way.
Prefereably, it should be possible to set the div so that scrolling is always at the bottom, without having to do anything about it.

First I thought it should be a job for html, but as that is no longer developed, and xhtml isn't ready to use for the public, I thought it could be something for css, in order to get a working solution more quickly.
Anyone knows of a workaround?

Hakon