Re: Scope of :hover

Ernest wrote on Wednesday, June 4, 2003 at 1:18:48 AM:

> That using :hover to provide a viaual cue to users as to which row
> and column a table cell belongs to is insufficient as it does not
> work with non-interactive visual media such as print.

For print use. What you're saying is that because it doesn't work for
print it's flat out insufficient. Should we expunge all media-specific
styles while we're at it?

The colors in my screen style sheet are useless in an aural style
sheet. That just means I shouldn't use color in aural style sheets (or
rely solely on color for some purpose).

> The result is a visual guide that works in both interactive and
> static visual media and is fairly easy for a user to comprehend.

If you're writing a style sheet for screen use, screen-specific styles
are acceptable. It's impossible for two media to produce an identical
user experience, and I don't see why creating a compromise for two
media is better than creating optimal media-specific styles. Even if
you had to put everything in a single style sheet for some lame
reason, you could still use @media rules. What's the advantage of your
way? (I am specifically not asking about your example in particular,
but your stated reasonsing for creating such a thing in the first
place. Your example is fine.)

--
John Lewis