Re: "inherit"

From: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:05:48 +1000 (EST)
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

> >     font-weight: normal
> >     font-weight: initial
> >     font-weight: inherit
> >     font-weight: default
>
> Not really. You could just as easily say:

> ...as they all do the same thing. In practice, it doesn't really matter to
> the authors how many keywords can be used, since they will only use the
> ones they want.

But that was my point, they *don't* all do the same thing. What is the
default font-weight? Most people would say "normal", and they would be
wrong, if default means "inherit" for some properties, but not others.

>    left: initial;
>    border-collapse: initial;
>    caption-side: initial;
>    clear: initial;
>    clip: initial;
>    content: initial;
>    display: initial;
>
> Which conveys the intention more clearly?

How often does one need to reset such a combination of properties? It
seems more likely that you would need to reset only a few, in which case
the keyword is less necessary, or many more, in which case the intention
should be pretty clear.

> Like I said earlier, 'default' is only a proposal. However, the concept of
> a keyword that automatically picks the appropriate keyword (initial vs
> inherit) is, IMHO, a good idea, for a similar reason to the above:

Yes, but are such constructs used very often? Do they justify the
confusion of keywords with such subtle meanings?

Michael

--
YesLogic Prince prints XML!
http://yeslogic.com