Re: "inherit"

From: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:56:22 +1000 (EST)
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

> It's quite handy if you want to override inheritance. Sure, you can do
> this be adding more keywords and have authors to look at the property
> table each time they want to do so. You could make up a similar argument
> for inherit in properties which inherit by default. I don't see why
> initial makes anything more complicated (I fact, I believe the opposite
> is true), or would require significantly more core as you'd already have
> a routine to lookup the initial value, and I certainly disagree with "no
> reason".

You can already override inheritance for nearly all properties simply by
specifying the initial value. For example:

    font-weight: normal

Properties which have no initial value defined would require new keywords,
however such properties are rare. The concept of "initial color" is worth
defining more carefully than "initial font-weight", which is trivial.

You could not make a similar argument for the "inherit" keyword, which is
genuinely useful even for properties which inherit by default, for forcing
inheritance in the presence of other rules in the cascade.

YesLogic Prince prints XML!