Re: Making the 'float' property more versatile

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:33:06 +0100 (BST)
To: www-style@w3.org

> layout on block elements. It's the only way to create something like: "Put
> as many block elements as possible in a row and wrap at the right border (or
> left border, resp.) of the current containing box". Using tables you can

Is that not what inline block is for?

Problem: The 'float' property currently wraps surplus elements to
predecessor elements being taller than the element itself. This yields a

That is the nature of float.

Even if my understanding of inline block is wrong, you are trying to enhance
the ability to create a hack with float, rather than providing a mechanism
for your real requirement, which is not about floats.