Re: XBL is (mostly) W3C redundant, and CSS is wrong W3C layer for semantic behavior *markup*

From: Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 23:08:24 -0600
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Apologies for multiple posts.  I think following corrections are necessary.
Note also the switch to use "interpretation" in "Defining of semantics".
We could swap the word interpretation for define I think.

Intrinsic
   Of or relating to the essential nature of a thing.

Essential nature of an element
   Interpretation of its tag name.

Semantics
   The intrinsic meaning of an element, for example <p> means "paragraph",
   <select> means "select zero or more items", etc.

Defining of semantics
   The mechanism by which the intrinsic meaning of an element is interpreted,
   which includes creating, changing, augmenting, or subclassing other
interpretations.

Non-semantic binding
   A mechanism of association that does not define semantics.

Semantic binding
   A mechanism of association that defines semantics.

-Shelby Moore